Friday, December 10, 2010
When using Telerik Rad Controls for asp.net you may encounter assembly reference exceptions when using a more recent version of RadControls against a website compiled using an older version of Rad Controls. Traditionally to resolve this problem one would download the latest Rad Controls and re-compile the project and publish this to the live environment.
posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 1:45:46 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Wednesday, October 6, 2010
I ran into a small problem in Silverlight today where I was quering a static list via linq and populating another custom list with the result. When I proceeded to modify the values of the second list, the first list's values changed as well. This is when I realised my mistake. LinQ never returns a copy/clone of a queried list, it returns the pointer/reference to the list.
posted on Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:41:41 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Monday, August 16, 2010
The VS 2010 Profiler allows you to analyse your running application to identify code-performance bottlenecks and correct them. The Profiler also gives a good overview on how efficient an application is. Lets take a look further...
posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 8:47:01 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Monday, April 26, 2010
We recently migrated a clients domain from domainA.com to domainB.com. If you are familiar with search engines and indexing, migrated domains that do not have proper 301 redirects pointing from the old domain to the new will cause the new domain to miss a lot of search engine traffic. The new domain will in fact have to start all over again and get re-indexed by search engines which can take months. How do you implement a global HTTP 301 redirect? In ASP.NET, it requires editing the global.asax's application_beginrequest event...
posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 7:26:24 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Monday, April 19, 2010
HTTP Compression: HTTP compression is a capability that is built into web servers and web browsers to make better use of available bandwidth, and provide faster transmission speeds between both. HTTP data is compressed before it is sent from the server: compliant browsers will announce what methods are supported to the server before downloading the correct format; unsupported browsers will download uncompressed data so enabling HTTP compression does not prevent older browsers from viewing the Html content.
posted on Monday, April 19, 2010 1:05:00 AM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Thursday, February 11, 2010
My client required a google product feed representing their store products, so I decided to make use of Linq-to-Xml to generate the Xml markup and Linq-to-Objects to retrieve my product data. Initially I had my doubts about using Linq, however, since seeing how efficient and clean the code was compared to using XPath, I'm now a believer ;) Here is the code. Copy and paste this into a Test.aspx page.
posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:33:28 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Friday, October 23, 2009
Okay, assuming your website is up and you launch your webpage, you're likely to get a server 500 error. If you're running Vista you will be provided with more details of the 500 error, however, if you're running 2008 Server then there is a distinct possibility you will receive no further information. Note: this method will not make use of II7 integration mode, instead it will be running your website under IIS6 compatibility mode for IIS7. Step 1: II7 doesnt support the the traditional web.config file. You have to convert it. Here is how. Open a new console window. c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe migrate config "website/virtual-directory"
posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 2:35:20 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Friday, August 7, 2009
I ran into a problem today when writing an output file which kept containing the prefix FFFE when viewed in a hexadecimal editor. This prefix was in my source file and attempts to remove it with String.Replace where fruitless. The FFFE prefix was only visible in a file and not within the Visual Studio debugging environment. So I started investigating. Unicode contains a byte order mark (BOM) prefix which defines the byte order of your unicode file. FFFE = Little Endian FEFF = Big Endian
posted on Friday, August 7, 2009 5:35:46 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback