Friday, October 23, 2009
Okay, assuming your website is up and you launch your webpage, you're likely to get a server 500 error. If you're running Vista you will be provided with more details of the 500 error, however, if you're running 2008 Server then there is a distinct possibility you will receive no further information. Note: this method will not make use of II7 integration mode, instead it will be running your website under IIS6 compatibility mode for IIS7. Step 1: II7 doesnt support the the traditional web.config file. You have to convert it. Here is how. Open a new console window. c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe migrate config "website/virtual-directory"
posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 2:35:20 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Friday, August 7, 2009
I ran into a problem today when writing an output file which kept containing the prefix FFFE when viewed in a hexadecimal editor. This prefix was in my source file and attempts to remove it with String.Replace where fruitless. The FFFE prefix was only visible in a file and not within the Visual Studio debugging environment. So I started investigating. Unicode contains a byte order mark (BOM) prefix which defines the byte order of your unicode file. FFFE = Little Endian FEFF = Big Endian
posted on Friday, August 7, 2009 5:35:46 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Monday, August 3, 2009
A fast, lightweight, easy to integrate auto-suggestion box powered by javascript and wrapped in an easy to use ASPx user control. Features: 1. Populate any text box with suggestions offline (embedded array) or online (AJAX). 2. Supports multiple suggestions via a comma deliminator. 3. Quick and easy to integrate into your project. 4. Compatible with all major browsers and supported by the author.
posted on Monday, August 3, 2009 1:58:13 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Tuesday, July 7, 2009
I installed 2003 server on my laptop and ran with using the Administrator account. I opened old projects and attempted to update my dataset via the standard VS data set generator tool and got slapped with "Key not valid for use in specified state".
posted on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:18:10 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Thursday, May 7, 2009
We just ran into a problem with our application connecting to an Ssl based webservice. Our app worked fine on our Windows 2003 Server however when we put it in the live environment which was Server 2008, it failed. After going through the whole shabang, we determined it be the .Net ServicePointManager needing to be set to use SSL3 security protocol. Oddly enough when checking the protocol in Server 2008, it displayed using Ssl3. However you still need to set it?!
posted on Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:56:18 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Monday, January 5, 2009
In this article I will explain how to decompress web responses that are compressed with GZip or Deflate compression. I battled with this problem for 5 hours which was mainly due to the fact that most of the GZip methods out there on the net are flawed when applied to certain scenarios. This led me down the path of trying nearly every conceivable uncompression method I could find that would work on GZipped http responses. Firstly, a quick overview of HTTP Compression. (feel free to skip this section) Web-Servers will use Http Compression if both your browser and the web-server support http-compression.
posted on Monday, January 5, 2009 5:23:04 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Tuesday, December 2, 2008
A little while back I designed a simple social networking website for a client making use of UrlRewriter.net for rewriting their dynamic url's into readable static url's. After a couple of months I realised that Google was not indexing these pages and so I started doing a bit of digging. What I found was that Google made updates to their crawler's browser information, identifying the crawler as a Mozilla type browser. Previously the Google crawler identified itself as a generic browser within ASP.Net...
posted on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:31:49 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Wednesday, July 23, 2008
I've recently ran into a bit of trouble with maintaining the aspnet session state across a subdomains of the same application. The main problem was that the ASPNET SessionID cookie by default points to the full web address, meaning that when you navigate to a subdomain, aspnet creates a new SessionID cookie for that subdomain and doesnt read the root domains session cookie. In short, you loose your session variables/authentication info when you browse to subdomains of your site.
posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:55:47 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback