Monday, January 5, 2009
In this article I will explain how to decompress web responses that are compressed with GZip or Deflate compression. I battled with this problem for 5 hours which was mainly due to the fact that most of the GZip methods out there on the net are flawed when applied to certain scenarios. This led me down the path of trying nearly every conceivable uncompression method I could find that would work on GZipped http responses. Firstly, a quick overview of HTTP Compression. (feel free to skip this section) Web-Servers will use Http Compression if both your browser and the web-server support http-compression.
posted on Monday, January 5, 2009 5:23:04 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Tuesday, December 2, 2008
A little while back I designed a simple social networking website for a client making use of UrlRewriter.net for rewriting their dynamic url's into readable static url's. After a couple of months I realised that Google was not indexing these pages and so I started doing a bit of digging. What I found was that Google made updates to their crawler's browser information, identifying the crawler as a Mozilla type browser. Previously the Google crawler identified itself as a generic browser within ASP.Net...
posted on Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:31:49 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Wednesday, July 23, 2008
I've recently ran into a bit of trouble with maintaining the aspnet session state across a subdomains of the same application. The main problem was that the ASPNET SessionID cookie by default points to the full web address, meaning that when you navigate to a subdomain, aspnet creates a new SessionID cookie for that subdomain and doesnt read the root domains session cookie. In short, you loose your session variables/authentication info when you browse to subdomains of your site.
posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:55:47 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Friday, February 22, 2008
There are times where you require web methods like Server.HtmlDecode and Server.HtmlEncode for use within your business layer. To get access to these methods one needs to firstly add the System.Web reference to your application...
posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 1:50:29 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Windows Mobile Device Centre has known synchronisation problems where it stops recognising a PDA. After struggling with this problem for quite some time I found a work around that solves this issue.
posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:11:24 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Sunday, November 11, 2007
Microsoft have made it increasingly more difficult for honest Vista x64 users to freely use their paid for software. They are enforcing driver signature and integrity checks which are limiting us from loading software and patches that we desire. Over the last few weeks I've investigated the current methods for disabling integrity and driver checks will provide you with the means to disable these checks.
posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:10:01 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Thursday, November 8, 2007
If your Vista x64 system is up to date and Xlight FTP no longer works, the problem is related to Microsoft's Updates enforcing the use of signed drivers. To get it working again, uninstall the following three updates:
posted on Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:04:45 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback
 Sunday, November 4, 2007
This is a fix for those of you experiencing slow performance in Windows Vista due to explorer.exe using 100% or high CPU load. This problem is related to the new Vista start menu being configured by default to allow indexing of all files.
posted on Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:01:36 PM (South Africa Standard Time, UTC+02:00)  #    Trackback